Skip to content

The Fruit Flyer 1958

Within six months of joining the Australian Broadcasting Commission, I had already directed a couple of documentary programmes.  I was now the Supervising Film Editor.  The A.B.C, had no directors on staff.

Towards the middle of December 1958, the Rural Department asked for me to work with them.  The first job I did with them was called “The Fruit Flyer” for the “Country Call” programme.  This referred to a train which travelled daily from Mildura, some 350 miles north of Melbourne, to the city carrying fresh vegetables and citrus fruits which grow in the region of Mildura.  For me this was the first film that I had total charge of.  I started with the proverbial blank sheet of paper and finished with a programme that was broadcast with titles at both ends.

There was something magic about having total control.  It would have been the culmination of a dream, except that I could never have dreamt that I would finish up being a documentary film director.  There was, indeed, a dream-like quality to the whole affair.  I could imagine what I wanted and then I could put it into practice.  Who could ask for more ?

Our crew consisted of American Frank Few on camera, Ottmar Wunsch, German, on sound.  The Rural producer/presenter, was John Muldoon.

We were taken to Mildura by train. I believe the train was called “The Sunraysia Express”.   An “Express” it was not. It was a long and tortuous journey, the further north we went, the hotter it became.  The landscape was, first of all, bush country and then even more arid as we went north.  The problem with the train journey was the rails which were a bit uneven forcing the train to limit its speed.  The train rocked a bit and never did more than about 50 miles per hour.

As we got closer to Mildura, we could see patches of green where horticultural farms had been created using artificial irrigation.

We arrived in Mildura in the morning and made our way to the hotel on foot, carrying our baggage.  We left the camera gear at the station until we could pick up a car on hire.  When we arrived at the hotel, John Muldoon looked around and turned to us  saying “The bastards have booked us into a temperance hotel”.   Here we were in hot and dry country, the height of summer, with no alcoholic drink in the hotel.

I said that we should delay booking in and, if they waited in the hotel lobby, I would go looking for an alternative.  I did not have to go very far, across the road was the St. George’s Hotel which was certainly not temperance.  It had a huge bar and was extremely well-appointed.  They had rooms for us.

I went back to the TT Hotel and went to the desk to say that there had been a mistake.  We picked up our bags and went to the St. George’s Hotel.

Orange orchard with Mr Leng and John Muldoon

I had a number of contacts to see in Mildura.    We had to visit one Mr. Leng, who was well up in the Murray River Citrus Farmers Association.

He had, among others, a seven acres orange orchard.  He explained that, at the end of the Second World War, returned soldiers were given an option of taking a loan for the purchase of land for citrus farming.  The loan also covered the building of a house and all the equipment.

Orange processing plant, Mildura

The men were then obliged to plant the orange saplings, tend them for seven years until they bore fruit.  In the meanwhile, they had to do odd jobs on other farms and live off their loan.  What was magical for them was that eighteen months after their orchards bore fruit, they could pay off their total debt to the Government.

The equipment they would have had to buy included a pump to draw water from the River Murray and piping to take it to their property.  The River was lined with these small pump-houses as farmers of various crops used the fresh water to irrigate their land.

Murray River

Without this water the land would have produced nothing.  It was arid, almost desert in the region and every farm only existed because of the pumps.

Because of this, there were large tracts of land growing vegetables, fruits and grapes for the wine industry.  Further down river toward South Australia, there were several wine-growing areas which had been founded by immigrants from  Europe, particularly France, Italy and Germany.

Mr. Leng had already established himself as a grower of fine oranges since he got his first tract of land in 1946, but, almost immediately, he had decided to produce a seedless navel orange.  This he succeeded in doing and produced what became known as a “Leng Navel”.

Filming in the orchard

We filmed a whole sequence on his orchard, mainly showing the picking of the fruit and loading them into great “coffins” in which they went off for processing..  We then went to the citrus fruit processing plant, where the oranges were washed, waxed and printed with their name.  They were now ready for packing and sending to the train.

We went to an Italian farm that was producing lettuces, tomatoes, cucumber, aubergine and green vegetables.  The older people on the farm were still only speaking Italian.

It got dark pretty quickly and we would be back in the hotel by 6 pm.  Like the closing scene of “Ice Cold in Alex”, we approached the bar in line-aside.

What a sight, the bar was very modern and clean.  Behind the bar were glass cabinets which held glasses.  Yes, glasses were in the fridge.  They were set up in front of us and each filled.  The barman did not even let go of his “gun”, knowing that we would down the first beer and then require another.  Talk about the “Amber Nectar”!!.

Our coming did not go unnoticed among the local inhabitants and we had visitors at the hotel asking us to join them for a drink.  Of course, all the local farmers knew we were coming, but then, almost everyone in Mildura was either a farmer or someone servicing farmers.

On various nights, we were entertained at the various clubs.  Mildura, at that time, did not have a Hotel other than the St. George’s for drinking purposes.  The local population all went to their clubs.  A half-dozen people could start-up a club and get a licence to operate  and, therefore, sell beer to its members.

Mildura, Victoria 1958

We went to the Settlers’ Club which was owned and run by the owners of the land on which all the crops were grown.  The Settlers were what passed for the “Upper Class”.

In the club, we were fed and plied with the finest beers.  We were made members of the club and I still have my membership card.

Another night we went to the Working Man’s Club, this, of course, being the direct opposite of the Settlers’.  Once more we were fed and plied with drink.  What interested them was that we were from the television industry and they did not have television, but they realised that what we were doing would put their town on the map.  It was a town of some 30,000 and some 4,000 were members of the club.

They claimed to have had the longest bar in the world.  I would not dispute that. The bar was in the form of a hollow letter T with a dozen or more barmen inside the T. The perimeter measurement could well have exceeded 120 feet. They said that the previous world record holder had been a bar in Chicago, but that had burned down.

Everyone wanted to talk to us, we were made most welcome.

We also had an evening at the Dog Club and the only amusing thing I remember about that was that the toilets had quaint signs on their door.  On the men’s it said “Pointers” and on the ladies’ it said “Setters”.

A good deal of our time there was spent at the railway station as examples of all the vegetables and fruits we had been filming over the previous week were being loaded onto the train.

We checked out of our hotel mid afternoon and went to the station to finish filming and film the departure of the train.  This had to happen twice because we were going to be on that train.  Fortunately, we had control of the train for the time being.

In making this film, I had a few points to make for the benefit of my employers and some of my colleagues.

I had John Muldoon appear on-screen every so often to say a few words to move the plot along.  John was a natural.  This had not been done before in Australia and very seldom elsewhere.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The train was, of course, a goods train and it left Mildura at 5 o’clock in the afternoon.  We were housed in the brake van, sitting on the floor with the door wide open.  We looked like some of the hobo people in Hollywood movies who rode the freight trains.

The big surprise when we got to the train accommodation was that there were boxes of product inside, gifts from the various farmers, some of whom we had never met.

The train pulled out of Mildura Station and we waved goodbye to a number of people who had come along to see us off.

We travelled South, and for a long time still within the territory served by the waters of the river.

We stopped at Irymple, Red Cliffs, Yatpool, Carwarp, Boonoonar, Nowingi and Hattah .

At each station, someone would come to the brake van and say “Are you the film crew?”

As soon as we said “Yes”, they would throw bags of produce into the van as a gift.  We had more stuff than we could have used in  a couple of months.

The train was hauled by a diesel engine that had a door on the front.  Frank Few took up position at this door to shoot the scene in front of the train.  He did this between Yatpool and Carwarp when he had to get off and come back to the van.

We went on through the night, rocking and rolling all the way down until we finally got to Melbourne.  We arrived at around 3am. We had not finished our job and we had to go on to film the unloading and delivery to Melbourne fruit and vegetable market.

Fortunately, we were met by two camera cars from our studios and we needed them both to carry all the produce we had been given.

We then went back to the Studios where we had left our own cars.  I took some oranges and vegetables, as did the others, and we donated the balance, which was by far the larger share, to the studio restaurant.

John Muldoon recording natural sound.

I said that the programme was to be something of an experiment.  I needed to break the mould which seemed to take over the previous output both at ABV 2 and the other stations.  It had been quite common for a documentary to have background music from start to finish.  Natural sound was almost non-existent.

I used, at least, fifty-per-cent natural synchronised sound, plus the sound of John Muldoon, with music taking the balance.

Because we were the A.B.C., we could make use of music almost at will, as the Commission had taken out a blanket fee for the use of music.

For the run home in the train, I used “Beyond the Blue Horizon” arranged and recorded by David Rose, who incorporated the apparent sound of a train in the orchestration.  It worked like a dream.

The film was an outstanding success.  What was happening now was that these films were being routinely copied and sent to Sydney, which, at that time, was the only other broadcast centre in Australia. As a result, we became noticed by the Federal department heads of the A.B.C. who were all based in Sydney.

This film was selected by the Australian Railways Association to be their contribution to the United Nations Railways Conference, held in Pakistan in 1960.

There were congratulations all round and it now seemed that the move to use film editors as directors was unstoppable.

Perhaps more important was the fact that the whole film department had a morale boost, they were all able to hold their heads up high.  Producers, who mainly originated from radio, began to listen to what the film editors had to say.

© Terence Gallacher and, 2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Terence Gallacher and with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

For other articles about the ABC click here.

9 Comments Post a comment
  1. Mark Gallacher #

    Hi Dad,
    Very well done! Congratulations on your recollections, it makes very interesting reading!

    September 27, 2010
  2. Shelton D'Cruz #

    Wonderful story! Thank-you for sharing! Actually I am interested in the Train Fruit Flyer and came across this site. Where can I obtain this documentary ?

    July 16, 2011
  3. Hello Shelton,
    I have often wondered if the train still does its daily run of three hundred miles with all the goodies for the market. The track in those days was a bit dodgy and the train lumbered through the night to get to Melbourne. It left Mildura around 5.30 in the evening and got to Melbourne around 3 am.

    It was a goods train pulled by a diesel engine.

    If they have not lost it, the film should be in the archives of The Australian Broadcasting Company qv

    If not, The Australian Railways Association may have a copy.

    If you have any specific questions about the train and its daily run, I could try to remember what I saw at the time.

    Thanks for your comment.

    Terry Gallacher

    July 16, 2011
  4. John Caldwell #

    Hi Terry,

    Whilst in the employ of then Victorian Railways in the late sixties and early seventies, it was part of my roster to run The Fruit Flyer in both directions ex Donald where I was stationed.

    What a delight it was to be up front with an old “b” class loco, blasting away those hot arid miles of the Mallee with a lightly loaded “Fruity’ heading for home ex rest on a Friday night.

    Fond memories always of a train to remember !!!

    John Caldwell

    October 24, 2011
    • Hi Joihn,

      Many thanks for your comment. I often wondered if the Victorian Railways improved the rail line between Melbourne and Mildura. In 1958, we were restricted to 50 miles an hour, making the journey long and wearisome. But I would not have missed it for the world. I liked the place so much, that, the following year, I took my wife there on our honeymoon.

      I particularly appreciated the Murray Cod and the beer

      Our cameraman Frank Few spent some time up the front of the Diesel filming the moving landscape in front of the train. With all the produce the farmers presented to us on the way down, we could have started a greengrocer’s shop.

      Wonderful days, wonderful people and a wonderful train.

      Terry Gallacher

      October 24, 2011
  5. Thanks for the great story Terry, I’m Frank Few’s nephew, I grew up on his stories (and become a professional photographer because in part, of them.) “Handy as a pocket in a shirt”………..Frank Few.

    December 11, 2011
    • Hello Brian,

      Many thanks for your comments. I lent Frank my enlarger for two years and got it back from him when I left Australia to return to England. I often wished I had left it with him because I never used it again and he could have made more use of it.

      It’s good to hear that his enthusiasm for photography is being carried on.

      December 11, 2011
  6. Kira J. Hanke #

    Hello :) !!!

    Great article….my father Ottmar Wunsch will like this too!

    December 27, 2011
    • Hello Kira,

      How nice to hear from you. Please give my kindest regards to Ottmar. I trust he is well and enjoying life.

      December 28, 2011

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: